The Racial Equity Institute Presents “A Groundwater Approach to Racial Equity”
Sponsored by Durham County
Register here. If you are registering multiple people at once, please fill out separate registrations so that we have contact information for each participant. This is a free event but registration is required and will close when full. Please feel free to share this email with your networks.
When: May 23, 2019, 12:30pm - 3:30 pm.
Where: Marriott at Research Triangle Park, 4700 Guardian Drive, Durham, NC 27703. (919) 941-6200. Free parking.
What: In the three-hour Groundwater Approach session, trainers use data and stories from a variety of sources to demonstrate the ongoing and pervasive impact of race. This research-based presentation focuses on the following six points that are essential to understanding the realities of systemic racism as a predictor of outcomes in all institutions.
- Racial inequity looks the same across systems.
- Socio-economic difference does not explain the racial inequity.
- Systems contribute significantly to disparities.
- The systems-level disparities cannot be explained by a few ‘bad apples’ or ill-intentioned gatekeepers.
- Poor outcomes are concentrated in certain geographic communities; usually poor communities and communities of color.
- An analysis that includes race often draws starkly different conclusions than one that does not.
Please register here.
Registration will close when seats are full.