Our Community Stories
To better understand our Durham communities, we are learning about our history.
Durham is a place of diverse cultures, experiences, and perspectives. In our rich history, some stories have been inaccurate, hidden, or forgotten. The Our Community Stories series is a dedicated space for sharing histories from Durham’s marginalized and underrepresented communities. These stories…
- Help us build a fuller of understanding of how the Bull City came to be what it is today
- They help us understand more about the diverse cultures and communities in Durham
- They inspire us to reimagine a future where everyone feels safe, supported, and valued
This series started in July 2020 with a focus on historically Black and African-American communities in Durham. Now we're expanding to other neighborhoods and communities.
Join our monthly events and catch up on past recordings to learn stories of joy, struggle, and the lasting impacts of these communities.
- -Birchwood, June 24, 2022
- -Edgemont, May 27, 2022
- -Pearsontown, April 29, 2022
- - Harriet Tubman YWCA (ft. Royal Ice Cream Sit-In), March 25, 2022
- - West End, February 25, 2022
- - Wheels Fun Park, January 28, 2022
- - McDougald Terrace, December 17, 2021
- - Youth Activism, November 17, 2021
- - Lincoln Hospital School of Nursing, October 29, 2021
- - Durham College, September 24, 2021
- - Emorywood Estates, August 27, 2021
- - Algonquin Club, July 30, 2021
- - Spring 2021 Reunion, June 25, 2021 (The Bottom, College Heights, and Merrick Moore)
- - East End, May 28, 2021
- - Merrick Moore, April 30, 2021
- - College Heights, March 26, 2021
- - The Bottom, February 26, 2021
- - Brookstown, January 29, 2021
- - Recap, December 11, 2020 (Walltown, West End, Bragtown, Crest Street, and Hayti)
- - Hayti, November 13, 2020
- - Crest Street, October 23, 2020
- - Bragtown, September 18, 2020
- - West End (ft. Pauli Murray), August 2020
- - Walltown, July 2020
Check the schedule for Durham Television Network for upcoming showings.
We hope to feature the stories of these neighborhoods and communities in Durham in the future. If you If you have contacts, suggestions or questions, please let us know ([email protected]).
- - Albright
- - Campus Hills
- - Cornwallis Rd.
- - Geerwood Park
- - Hayestown
- - Stokesdale
- - Boy Scouts
- - Hillside High School
- - Durham Business and Professional Chain
- - Native American
- - Mexican
- - Chinese