Pre-kindergarten Programs 2018-2019
Your 4-year-old child may be eligible to attend Durham County’s NC Pre-K Program, Head Start, and/or Durham Public Schools. These programs all work to prepare 4-year-olds for kindergarten. There are many ways to apply:
- You may call 919-314-6813 to set an appointment time.
- Walk in at one of the following Durham County Head Start offices Mondays – Thursdays from 9:30 am to 4:00 pm. A family counselor will assist parents in filling out the application.
- 215 W. Seminary Ave. (across from McDonald’s and the YMCA) Phone: 919-688-5541
- 908 Liberty St. (Leathers Meachem) Phone: 919-536-5560
- Online at: http://dpfc.net/NCPreK. ; http://chtop.org; http://childcareservices.org; http://www.dpsnc.net
- Walk in at East Durham Children’s Initiative at 1405 Holloway St., between 10 am and 12 pm on April 11, April 25, or May 7, 2018 or between 11:00 am and 2:00 pm on April 9, 23 or May 9, 2018.
Children must be 4 years old by August 31, 2018 (born between September 1, 2013 and August 31, 2014) to be eligible for pre-k programs.
Required materials needed from parents for application:
- Copy of child’s birth certificate.
- Current child immunization records.
- Proof of current address in Durham County (lease/mortgage or utility statement.)
- Proof of ALL household income including 1 month of Household Income, Child Support, SSI/A, etc.
- If the parent/parents are students, proof of school enrollment, scholarship awards, and grants.
- Copy of child’s Insurance card, if applicable.
- Proof of Child’s chronic health conditions, if applicable.
- Proof of private service plan, if applicable.
- Proof of military status, if applicable.
Please remember: applications will not be processed without necessary documentation.
Durham’s Partnership for Children, a Smart Start Initiative, helps fund a portion of these services to ensure
young children receive quality educational experiences to prepare them for school and life.